As you probably know by now, Gitorious is shutting down. A lot of history sits on that site, and much of the code is no longer maintained. Browsing around, I ran into the maemo-tools that has not been touched since 2013. There are still some useful stuff there, so I decided to save it. All tool repositories has been cloned to the maemo-tools-old organization on github.
As I’m only a happy user, I would love to invite the original maintainers, or other interested developers to come work on it, so if you want an invite to the organization so that you can maintain the code, just drop me a mail at e8johan, gmail, com.
It has been a long time since the last update of QmlBook was announced – but the project is definitely live and kicking. Jürgen has put in a lot of great work into the contents and gotten the collaborative work over on github started. To simplify the publication, the contents has been moved to github hosting, but you can still use the old qmlbook.org (and qmlbook.com) addresses to get there.
The reason for the standstill on the qmlbook.org/com sites, and much of the perceived lack of progress is due to my personal time situation. Small children and family life takes time, as does my work (which is awesome and includes Qt/QML – go Pelagicore). Unfortunately, I’m a bit of an optimist, so I want to, and truly believe that I will have time to work on side projects such as this book. But the 24h/day limit sucks, so sometimes I realize that I fail to do so.
However, this is not a post where I complain over my own situation – instead – I want to thank all the contributors who keep feeding us issue tickets via github! I would also like to thank our readers – it is great to hear from you! And finally, I’d like to thank Jürgen who has put down a lot of work and kept the project moving forward.
It is not my intention to leave this project, I’m just short on time at the moment due to other awesome things in my life (kids, wife, work) – I’ll be back!
Finally I’ve had the time to work over the final issues in meta-kf5. Right now, I build most tier 1 and tier 2 components. I’ve packaged most functional modules and integration modules from these tiers.
When it comes to integration modules, there might be missing dependencies that need to be added – but that should not be too hard to add.
To be able to create useable cmake files, I had to employ a small hack modifying the cmake-files from KF5 before installing and packaging them. This seems to work (i.e. tier 2 builds), but there might be other sed-expressions that are needed.
Also, the autotests are not built as long at Qt5Test is left out form the build. If you would add Qt5Test, I believe that the unit tests will be included in the same package as the libs. I’ll address this as I integrate the autotests into ptest.
Summing up all of this, I’d say that the meta-kf5 layer now is usable!
That is all for now. As always, contributions are welcome! If you find a use for this, I’d be happy to add your project as a reference to the layer!
So, as of tonight, all but three tier 1 modules from kf5 are built in meta-kf5. The ones remaining are KApiDox, which does not really apply, and KConfig and Sonnet, which both needs to be part built for the native host environment, and part cross compiled. So, any Yocto hackers out there, please have a look at the issues linked to from the meta-kf5 status page.
The meta-kf5 Yocto layer is coming along nicely. Most of the modules are proving to be fairly easy to integrate, much thanks to the excellent ground work in meta-qt5, including the cmake_qt5 bbclass.
My plan for the summer vacation was to do one module a day, so around 5 would be ok. Until now I’ve done 9. Only KConfig has been providing any resistance (it does not like QT_NO_SESSIONMANAGER). My current pipe for tier 1 modules has 6 more candidates in it, so hopefully I can say that I’ve done 15 modules tomorrow night.
Right now, I have only one big worry – I have no code using the packages, so it is a bit of a if-it-compiles-it-works mentality right now. This should be fixed by integrating the test cases from the KF5 modules with ptest and building a test image. This is something that I’ll have to look at further along the road.
KDE recently released the first version of KDE Frameworks 5, or shorter KF5. This is a set of add on modules extending and improving Qt, forming the base on which the Plasma Desktop is built. The nice thing is that KF5 is very modular and very reuseable.
Recently I’ve spent some time working with Yocto (yes, the series will continue – I just need time to do a couple of clean builds). So, I thought this was the perfect little summer vacation project for me. So, the plan is to package one module a day of KF5 for Yocto. The layer resides on github as meta-kf5.
This is a release early, release often project, so I’ve just gotten KAchive and ECM integrated. You can follow the progress from the project status page.