I’m building a HTPC based on Mythbuntu. The hardware consists of a small shuttle chassis, a 40GB Intel SSD, an ASUS AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard and a WinTV-NOVA-TD USB stick.
Actually, the USB stick resides in a seriously underpowered backend machine which serves as my home server. The frontend/backend does work reliably though – even over WLAN.
The idea is not to use the box as a receiver, but rather a media player. Output will be HDMI for both sound and video.
- Picture, HD acceleration and such works out of the box.
- Building the SVT Play plugin and RTMPDUMP worked.
- Sound required a ~/.asoundrc file directing the sound to the correct SPDIF. I also unmuted all SPDIFs using alsamixer.
- The remote is configured so that most buttons make sense. Installed the drivers from here to get the remote to work as a keyboard device. I also had to blacklist the mceusb driver after having upgraded to Mythbuntu 11.04.
- Employed this trick to fix the issues that I have with my WinTV dual-tuner USB stic. It looks promising.
Left to do: